Wednesday, February 11, 2015

What's that coming over the hill?

It's awkwardly rolled over into darkness, the heat from today has finally escape the house via blasting arctic type breeze from the air conditioner - which by the way just cost me my unborn second child to fix last week.

And I've returned from a run.

Nothing long, but steep!

Pregnant wife, busy life and a need to find more hours in my day has forced me to take up what was valuable procrastination time to head out on a run after 9pm. I need to make this 'extra' run session outside of my Parkrun Group Session productive, maximizing results rather than just stepping out for a lazy 5-10km loop of the block or down by the river lap.

I need to find a sure fire way to know that this is making my time worth it - so I found a steep hill, well more like two Hills, one side is long and gradiant reaches upwards step by step, at the crest I have a nice look down into the burbs, before decenting downwards quickly, only to turn around I head up again but this time on the steep side.

It's a fact! Training on hills improves leg-muscle strength, quickens your stride, expands stride length, develops your cardiovascular system, enhances your running economy and can even protect your leg muscles against soreness. 



In short, hill running will make you a stronger, faster and healthier runner. What’s more, the benefits are relatively quick to take effect. In as little as six weeks of regular hill training you can expect a significant improvement in your muscle power and speed.

6 WEEKS! Now there aren't too many magic pills in this world that can give you that sort of result. 


The steeper the better, 


My session isn't a big session in fact its under 5km but its attacked quickly completed generally in under 30 mins and I know it was worth while. 


What a great way to gain more by running less. 




No comments:

Post a Comment